Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Giant mural just completed!


I just finished the mural at the American West Heritage Center. It measures 10 feet tall and 72 feet wide. In all, I actually only painted about 450 square feet (there are several large cut-outs to allow for dioramas and displays)...but that's still pretty big; usually I just deal in square inches instead of feet.

Here is the autumn panel of the mural (this particular panel measures about 10 feet by 5 1/2 feet). I refer to them as "panels," but they are all actually connected...there's a 2-foot high strip of painted area at the top of the cut-outs between each panel.

Go to my website to view the other panels and some progress photos from last month. www.trentgudmundsen.com ...go to the bottom of the homepage, and click on the photo of me painting the mural.



Here is the summer/fall panel (about 10x12 feet)

-As a matter of interest, right now I'm working on four smaller paintings that will echo the feeling of the mural. The first one will depict the Shoshone tribe in their winter camp near Preston, Idaho (at the site where they were later massacred by the U.S. army).

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Beautiful! I would love to see it in person someday!

Hilton McLaurin, Artist said...

I have been asked to do an outdoor Mural here in Lubbock. Still working on concept, I like the seasonal panel idea. Mind if I use it?
Hilton

Trent Gudmundsen said...

No problem, Hilton...glad you like the concept. Congrats on your mural commission!
-Trent